Samsung Promises Three Major Android Updates for Almost 40 Existing Devices
Samsung has promised three generations of Android OS updates for close to 40 devices in its portfolio. Earlier, Samsung had confirmed only Galaxy S and Galaxy Note devices as eligible for this new policy, but has now shared an extensive list of phones eligible for the updates. Besides the devices on the list, this policy will be standard for all future Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Z, and Galaxy Tab S series devices, and will also apply to select Galaxy A series devices. Samsung also announced that Galaxy S20 lineup will be the first Galaxy devices to receive the Android 11 upgrade later this year.
Samsung expressed its commitment to support users in enjoying the latest mobile experiences while using the company’s devices. Earlier this month, Samsung had announced in its Galaxy Unpacked event that Galaxy S and Galaxy Note series devices would receive three generation of Android OS updates. Now, it has announced a list of 38 Samsung Galaxy devices that would qualify as well. This is significant as it earlier offered only two years of updates on its phones.
The devices eligible for the three generations of updates as announced by Samsung are:
- Samsung Galaxy S series: Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S20 Ultra, Galaxy S20+ 5G, Galaxy S20+, Galaxy S20 5G, Galaxy S20 in addition to Galaxy S10 5G, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S10 Lite and upcoming Galaxy S series devices.
- Samsung Galaxy Note series: Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Galaxy Note 20 5G, Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Galaxy Note 10+, Galaxy Note 10 5G, Galaxy Note 10, Galaxy Note 10 Lite and upcoming Galaxy Note series devices.
- Samsung Galaxy foldable devices: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G, Galaxy Z Fold 2, Galaxy Z Flip 5G, Galaxy Z Flip, Galaxy Fold 5G, Galaxy Fold, and upcoming Galaxy Z series devices.
- Samsung Galaxy A series: Samsung Galaxy A71 5G, Galaxy A71, Galaxy A51 5G, Galaxy A51, Galaxy A90 5G, and select upcoming Galaxy A series devices.
- Samsung Galaxy tablets: Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Galaxy Tab S7+, Galaxy Tab S7 5G, Galaxy Tab S7, Galaxy Tab S6 5G, Galaxy Tab S6, Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, and upcoming Galaxy Tab S series devices.
Janghyun Yoon, Senior Vice President and Head of Software Platform Team, Mobile Communications Business at Samsung Electronics said that the company was working on bringing secure protection and exciting new features to the devices already people’s hands.
“By supporting up to three generations of Android OS upgrade, we are extending the lifecycle of our Galaxy products and making a promise that we will provide a simple and secure mobile experience that takes advantage of the latest innovations as soon as they are available,” Yoon said.
Is Nord the iPhone SE of the OnePlus world? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.